Wednesday, January 26, 2011

A Call For Help

I have been looking for ways to get more involved with life around me for awhile now.  I struggle with feelings of hiding in my little bubble and not doing enough for the world at large.  With Grayson getting older, it's becoming more and more important to me to help him to see the world around him, to give back, to teach him about compassion.
I stumbled across The Pencil Project a few months ago.  I immediately knew it was something that Grayson and I could do together and that it would be a concept that he would easily grasp.  So I emailed the founder, requested a school as local to us as possible, and discussed as much as I could with Grayson while we waited for a response.  We finally heard back, and are being matched up with a school in South Bend, IN.  Grayson has set our goal at 600 pencils by the end of February and he's hoping that you will be willing to help.

Pencil Project from Kelly Irwin on Vimeo.

We would love to have all of the help that we can get with this project.  Pencils can be mailed to Grayson at our home address.  If you have any questions, let me know.  Please help us collect our 600 pencils for some very needy kids!!

*The fact that my kid had his thumb in his mouth the entire time I was taping this should have been my first clue that he was coming down with something.  He's heading into day 2 of a nasty stomach virus and feeling pretty miserable.  Oh, and turning the Wii off next time I expect him to talk about something would probably be a good idea, too.

5 comments:

olivia's mom said...

Do they have to be the plain No. 2 school pencils?

Kelly said...

I think anything other than mechanical pencils are fine. ;)

Grandpa and Abi said...

We are getting pencils together and they will be on their way soon! Really proud of you Grayson! This is a great project and you will help a lot of other boys and girls with their school work. We are happy to help! Thanks for asking. We love you,
Grandpa and Abi

Katchka said...

What a good cause! I am happy to help.

Ohio Irwin's said...

Can you post a pencil counter so we know how close he's getting to the goal? Thanks!