There are a few things that I try to make a point of not writing about on this blog. One of them is religion. If there was ever a sensitive subject, that is it. And I'm not one to want to step on toes or turn away the very few readers that I do have. Unfortunately, since I had an interesting experience with Grayson this morning, I'm breaking my own rules.
Nate had a wild night with the guys last night and was somewhat under the weather this morning, so when it came time to leave for church it was just myself and Grayson, who didn't want to leave his daddy and kept crying "I don't wanna go to church." I wasn't about to give in and take him back in the house and call it a day, nor was I going to leave him with Nate and go by myself. So I just started driving. I figured he'd be fine by the time we got there and would have fun seeing our good friends. I started talking to him and telling him that I like going to church and hearing the music and singing and praying and seeing our friends, and somewhere in there I must have said something about God because the next thing I heard from the back seat was "Who's God?"
Talk about a loaded question. It would be difficult enough to explain this to another adult who may not have the save beliefs that I do, let alone a 2-year old. I mean, how do you explain God to a toddler? I tried telling Gray that God was a friend, and someone we could talk to, but who lived really far away. And what does my kid want to know? "Where does God live?" So I told him that God lived in Heaven, but that it was really far away, kind of like California (ok, so it was the first thing that came to mind that I thought he would understand), and that we couldn't see him right now. Gray kept asking questions about who God was and where he lived and I really didn't know what to say.
So I sunk to my all time Mommy low and told my kid that God was like Santa Claus and that we couldn't see him, but we just had to believe in him. Gray was quiet for a moment and them started crying, "But I don't want to see Santa!" Not an analogy I EVER thought that I would use, but for now the distraction works. Hopefully long enough for me to figure out what in the world to tell a
2-year old about God and Santa.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
That is a very hard question to answer. I wish you luck with it and tell me what works so I have an answer when the time comes!
Oh... I SO fear this question! ACK!!!
That is a tough one! Leave it to a two year old to make you REALLY start thinking about things that make your head spin as an adult, nevermind trying to explain it to a kid. LOL At least you didn't tell him that God is always watching you... he'd have nightmares for weeks! ha ha ha
Post a Comment