Friday, September 12, 2008

My Boys

There are so many things that I have been trying to take note of and remember about this time in our lives, particularly about Scarlett. But I want to be sure not to neglect my boys and their roles in this special time.


Nate has been wonderful and I honestly don't know what I would do without him. He was so great the entire time we were at the hospital and took on so much when we came back home. He made sure to get Grayson out of the house every day to run off some energy and made sure they got some extra one-on-one time. He cooked (ok, reheated, but still), he cleaned, he let me sleep. And I am more grateful than I could ever say. Even with going back to work this week, Nate has continued to make sure to stay tuned in to not only my needs, but Gray's and Scarlett's, too. I know things will change and that there will be rougher patches as Scarlett grows and the dynamic of our family changes, but right now I am so proud of the way my husband has handled our expanded family.

And then there's Gray. Just thinking about how he has handled the past 2 weeks makes my heart swell. Grayson had a wonderful time with his Grandpa and Abi while we were at the hospital, and, knowing that he was having so much fun, I never once worried about him. When he came to the hospital for the first time, his face lit up and he immediately asked, "Where's my baby?" It's still one of the first things he asks every morning. And it's always "my baby," never "our baby," or "your baby." When Gray isn't referring to Scarlett as "my baby," he talks to her using her full name. "Goodnight Baby Scarlett Hope Irwin." And my heart swells a little more. Grayson loves to hold Scarlett and rub her head. When she cries he immediately tells us to check and see if she's poopy or that she needs her milk. He has not been jealous of Scarlett, and instead has welcomed her with open arms and an open heart, and I have never been prouder of my son.


I know that moments of jealousy will come, moments when Scarlett does indeed intrude on Grayson and he decides he doesn't like it. I know there will be moments of frustration for Gray (and for all of us). But I also know that I will always be able to look past those little moments when I remember this huge time in our lives when my boys and I all rallied together to welcome this beautiful little girl into our lives.



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! What a great glimpse into your lives with a new baby!

Christina Schmidt said...

I hear you! As much as M has struggled with us he is adorable with his sister and always calls her his baby sister or by her full name as well. K was also the same way and in a good way it made the first weeks of her life just fly by. She is beautiful and I am just dying to meet her!

Christina Schmidt said...

ah when I she there at the end I mean Scarlett not Miss Pancake. Sorry I am trying to type to quickly!!!

Anonymous said...

That was so sweet! I'm so glad the first week has went so well, and I'm sure it will continue to go well, even when those moments of jealousy kick in, you guys are so good with Gray, it will all work out!

K and J's mom said...

very sweet. love that last pic of the boys with little miss. She looks like a little person in that pic!