Friday, February 11, 2011

A few weeks ago 
I came around the corner just in time 
to look up and see my sweet boy trying to 
catch the sunbeams streaming through the window.
It was such a breath-taking moment for me. 
 Life with Gray is an almost daily struggle for me these days.  
He wants so desperately to be seen and treated as an older kid, 
but still can't be completely trusted on his own.  
He has an attitude that he likes to try out for size 
and almost always with me.  
I struggle with being too hard on him and
having expectations that are too high 
at the same time that I want to bury my face 
and cry because I feel like I'm failing 
to raise him to be the best person he can be.
 Finding him in a quiet moment like this one 
with his guard down and only 
the wonder of a little boy in his eyes 
stops my heart and reminds me to breathe 
when the going gets rough.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grandpa and Abi said...

What a beautiful reflection...thanks for sharing the moment.